Now that we’re just on the other side of the Summer Solstice, you may want to reconsider if you’ve yet to plan an island escape for 2016. If you’re still looking for an easy-to-get-to island adventure , there are at least 16 prime choices I’d recommend in a heart beat, all in the Great Lakes Basin.
Plenty to see and do on each to make good summertime memories. And, by the way, they all have great sunsets. (The one above–the sunset, not the photo–courtesy of Beaver Island, MI.)
Having spent the last two weekends on Pelee Island–following my book’s launch and The Most Memorable Visit by Both Daughters and The Granddaughter–and with plans to return to . . .
- Bois Blanc Island, MI (in the Straits of Mackinac; get there by ferry)
- Wolfe Island, ON (in the St. Lawrence River; get there by ferry)
. . . here’s another “baker’s dozen” of islands (in order from upstream to downstream) I’m planning to return to this year or next:
- Madeline Island, WI (in Lake Superior; get there by ferry)
- Washington Island, WI (in Lake Michigan; get there by ferry)
- Beaver Island, MI (in Lake Michigan; get there by ferry)
- Mackinac Island, MI (in the Straits of Mackinac; get there by passenger ferry)
- Les Cheneaux Islands (area), MI (in Lake Huron; get there by bridge)
- Drummond Island, MI (in Lake Huron; get there by ferry)
- St. Joseph Island, ON (in Lake Huron; get there by bridge)
One of the most interesting island churches, churchyard cemeteries, and island family stories, on St. Joseph Island, Ontario.
- Harsens Island, MI (in St. Clair River; get there by ferry)
- Grosse Ile, MI (in the Detroit River; get there by bridge)
- South Bass Island, OH (in Lake Erie; get there by ferry)
Step down into a geode underground to see the crystals, and then come up to the garden to sample the wine at Heineman’s Winery on South Bass Island (aka as Put-in-Bay).
- Kelleys Island, OH (in Lake Erie; get there by ferry)
Kelleys Island has limestone features from a number of periods of island history (from top left, clockwise) found in: ruins of the Monarch Winery, Kelleys Island Cemetery, the glacial grooves, Inscription Rock, the German Reformed Church, and Herndon’s Sculpture Garden, to just name a few.
- Amherst Island, ON (in Lake Ontario; get there by ferry)
- Wellesley Island, NY (in the St. Lawrence River; get there by bridge)
Just pick one. Pick any Great Lakes Basin island. You won’t be disappointed. Meanwhile, beginning mid-July, expect island dispatches from someone who’s already picked more than a few!